I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 9, 2023

Easter 2023

Early spring garden

I pass by this lovely garden on my walk home from the Rose Garden twice a week. I have been watching this place continue to grow more beautiful by the day, and I know it won't be long before I am seeing more blossoms appear. Our tulips are actually beginning to show their pretty colors, just a little, after having endured a long and cold winter and spring so far. I don't remember it taking such a long time to see the usual spring flowers emerge from winter's sleep. But today is Easter Sunday, a day that brings many memories from earlier moments in my life into my consciousness. 

I was not raised in a religious home; my mother had been raised as a Catholic and married outside of the Church. My father had never been exposed to religion as he grew up, and Mama, who was in love with him, married him anyway. I don't know what my grandparents on my mother's side thought about it, but his mother didn't seem to have any objections (my paternal grandfather didn't seem to have any say in the matter). It was one of those quick wartime romances, with Daddy being in the Air Force and Mama becoming a housewife. I was born almost exactly one year after they married. They were married for almost four decades before Daddy died.

I was given a very happy childhood, with me not doubting my parents' love, and when I was a toddler of two, my little sister was born. We moved around a lot because of Daddy being stationed in different places, and when I was three, we moved to Puerto Rico, and we lived just a few blocks from the ocean. It was an idyllic childhood, as I look back, but many people would not have found it to be so, since stability didn't come from our residence, but from each other, and we lived each day as it came. My playmates were often speaking a different language from me, so I learned to speak Spanish at an early age. I've forgotten most of it now, but the language is not unfamiliar, and when I hear it spoken I can understand some of it.

Easter Sunday. When I was growing up, we had new outfits and shiny patent-leather shoes, and Easter baskets filled with hard-boiled eggs (which we dyed and decorated in the days before), pretty fake grass, chocolate bunnies and candy. We didn't go to Church, so I'm not sure what we did after all that preparation.

Easter Sunday long, long ago

But it really didn't matter. We did what everyone else did, except for the church attendance, and I was very happy and content with my life. I didn't know anything else, so I never felt deprived, and Mama was very proud of her two little girls. She sewed a lot, and I think she might have made those dresses for us. In any event, Daddy took the picture of the two of us, situated in front of our car and our rented home behind. We lived in military housing, but Mama was a wonderful homemaker and knew how to make everything feel just right wherever we lived. 

Today, both my parents are long gone, although when I think of Easter, I think of them and realize they still live in my memories as if they were still alive. Last night I dreamed of them, so they are not far away at all. But much time has passed, and now I am feeling the years as they settle around my shoulders. The world has changed so very much, and since that picture was taken, the world population has exploded, and because of the internet, we are now able to see what is happening from one part of the planet to the other instantaneously. I think of those two innocent children and am so very glad I was one of them, able to enjoy such happiness, unclouded by world events.

I make an effort to leave what is happening in the world out of my blog posts, since I get more than enough of it on my laptop, or watching the news of the day, and I don't need to be reminded constantly about how many people don't have much happiness in their lives. There is little I can do about it, but I do spend some time every day in contemplation and prayer. Since I am trying very hard to practice ahimsa (compassion for all living beings), it doesn't help to allow myself to get mired in sadness. I can choose instead to look at the bright side of life. So that is what I choose.
I think we need to do some deep soul searching about what's important in our lives and renew our spirit and our spiritual thinking, whether it's through faith-based religion or just through loving nature or helping your fellow man. —Louie Schwartzberg

Yesterday I watched a favorite show, the latest episode of Star Trek: Picard, which is the final rendition of my old friends from Star Trek as they finalize the journey of many decades. I started watching the original series and then moved to The Next Generation, then the subsequent series as they evolved. I enjoyed every one, and many of the characters feel like old friends. Just like me, they are now old and the series is letting us wrap up all their journeys in various ways. This one brings back some characters from Deep Space Nine, as well as Next Generation. And Patrick Stewart (Picard) is as old as I am, and looks every day of his octogenarian years (he's 82).

For those of you who aren't familiar with Data and Lore, they are both androids who were created by Noonian Soong, with Data being a major character throughout the series. He has always wished to be human, feeling the lack of his ability to feel anything at all. Lore was Soong's experiment with an emotion chip to allow him to feel, but he was evil, while Data was an innocent. In this latest series, both of the versions of the android were put together into one brain, with a barrier between the two. In an attempt to bring back Data, they decided to remove the barrier and hope for the best. Either Lore would overcome Data, or vice versa. It didn't seem very hopeful, since Data's positronic brain had an ethics chip that wouldn't allow him to kill anyone, even Lore.

[Warning: the next paragraph is a spoiler alert! Don't read it unless you care to know what happens.] The two of them begin talking to one another, with Lore confident he would prevail, but Data began to share his memories with his brother, things that he cherished and people he cared about. Lore accepted these memories, since he had been jealous that Data was so loved. You might guess what happens: Data and Lore become one, with Data's consciousness ascendant. It was so wonderful to see that outcome, and to know that Data can now feel everything his brother felt.

It made me realize that humans really need ethics to become truly human and able to experience love and compassion. It's the same thing as ahimsa: dynamic compassion is essential to becoming a kind and loving person. When I fell asleep last night, I experienced joy in realizing that humanity is indeed capable of great love and great compassion.

With that, dear friends, I will leave you to have your own Easter experience, and truly hope that it is a good one, surrounded with lots of Easter happiness and joy, punctuated with the occasional chocolate bunny. Until we meet again, dear friends, be well. I wish you all good things.

14 comments:

Rita said...

I have similar memories of being all dressed up for Easter looking similar to you and your sister. We did attend church--but only for Easter and Christmas--LOL!

We are capable of great love and great compassion. Happy Easter. :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Easter, as what it means to you is tyour cherished memories. I see this celebration as the hopeful regeneraton of life, for those who see death as an ending this holiday gives a resurection from the dead. For my mind, I see a world facing a species death for mankind, but there is still hope for nature's continuing of life.

ApacheDug said...

Well, what a nice read this was! Happy Easter DJan, I always enjoy reading your childhood memories, they're like rolls from my grandmother's oven, warm and fresh. I very much like that photo of you and your sister too, how sweet and I know it seems like long long ago, but in the great scheme of things.. wait now I'm starting to sound like you! DJan, I was also excited and happy to read you've been watching season 3 of Picard. My gosh, isn't that like the best thing ever? The first season was intriguing, the second an outright bore. (Sorry Patrick Stewart). The third is like an amazing TNG movie each week. I never thought I'd be this happy to see that crew together again. Thanks for the lovely read DJan, and I hope the rest of your day is a stellar one. 🙂👍✨

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Easter! I am not a Star Trek fan and didn't like Star Wars, either. But good for you to find some enjoyment from TV. Take care and God bless.

Linda Reeder said...

We were a church going family and did sometimes have new clothes for Easter Sunday. There were always Easter baskets waiting on the kitchen table when we got up. We reused the same baskets every year, and I still have mine. There was always a big breakfast, and then the family would gather, early on at my grandparent's farm, for a bounteous Easter dinner.
WE don't attend church anymore, but most of my family is still very religious. Now we gather at daughter Jill's house, where I am happy to let her do most pf the cooking. We will have a delicious ham dinner and then birthday pie to celebrate son Jake's birthday. I'm afraid our egg hunt is getting rained out this year.
Happy Easter, happy Spring. Pray for some warmth from that old sun up there somewhere.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Easter! I went to church every Sunday from the time I was born until I graduated from High School...there were no excuses except a fever, diarrhea or vomiting. Now we watch the Sunday Sermon online...I am quite guilty of fast forwarding through to the sermom:) To attend church is asking for trouble...too many perfumes and aftershave...Far Guy is sick for days afterwards. So we are still isolated even after covid is less. We are hermits!! Today we will venture to my brothers for dinner...I made cornbread and a fruit salad.

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much for the reminder that our species is indeed capable of great love and great compassion.
A very Happy Easter to you dear friend.

Gigi said...

When we were small, there was always new Easter clothes for Mass, which we attended every Sunday until my parents divorced.

Happy Easter, DJan!

Marie Smith said...

I enjoyed this post immensely, Jan. I loved how you brought Data and Lore into the concept of ahimsa and the search for it in one’s life. Brilliant! Thank you for this post. Have a great week, Jan.

Red said...

Family traditions are influenced by many situations. Your family had very different influences and experiences than others. However, you grew to be a happy productive person. You also think much deeper about life than many other people. Always enjoy your thoughts.

Anvilcloud said...

A fine Easter post from your memories to your ruminations.

Rian said...

Always enjoy your posts, DJan. I too had a very wonderful childhood with loving parents and memories of Easter. Easter is my favorite holiday... not only for the religious aspect (which is important as I was brought up Catholic), but because it was a celebration of spring with new life everywhere. We did go to church - all dressed up in our Easter finery and hats. Unfortunately I was a little tomboy and hated the dress-up part (which is obvious from my face in pics). But you have peaked my interest in Star Trek and I may have to go back and check out the old ones from beginning to end. We did watch some - but I was never a big fan. However, I did like Data... so your 'spoiler alert' enticed me.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you for sharing your thoughts on what makes us human and on our journey to Wholeness. Compassion, I believe must infuse all the emotions within us so that we going in the embrace of Wholeness--the Holy Oneness of All Creation. I so appreciate your words. They always make me stop and consider and often lead me to prayer.

From Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday--a matter of 7 days--I cherished a friend who was going through the Paschal Mystery that is part of all our lives. Once at least and for many of us more than once we go through loss, death, and resurrection as we journey through live. She has been going through a psycotic breakdown and has now, in a real way, risen to a new awareness of who she s and what she needs to be Whole. I felt that I knelt on holy ground as I journeyed with her--by phone--this past week.

I hope to write a blog posting about this. At least I'm going to try! As you always do, no matter what Sunday brings. Peace from Dee and the cats.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

I am still on this planet after a very rough gall bladder removal that kept me hospitalized from Nov 15 to Feb 13 and has left me with a fistula at my mid abdomen. This event was tough but it also let me know how much people can bare and give support. I have never been able to appreciate Star Trek but know many do. And you really expressed your fondness.
My childhood Easter’s were a bit like yours with new outfits and treats including colored eggs. This Easter Buddy took charge to create baskets for his little nieces who moved back to Canada Jan.2022 and lived with us until the fall of that year.
Our Easter fun was stalled as one of the grandkids and my daughter tested positive for Covid. Still we had son in-law pick up their treats and we did a virtual visit. I am still weak and will need more surgery this summer to close that hole. I pray I recover for I am so close to all my family and hope to have good times. Yes it is a very different world and we see how fast little ones now use tech and live with challenges we cannot truly imagine as food and housing cost are a global issue now. We got through Covid but we see it has impacted behaviour in many people and all we can do is hope for positive changes. I was fascinated that you have Spanish language ability. Try watching some Spanish flicks to rekindle it as it is good for keeping our aging brain active in memory skills.
So nice to still be able to occasionally read about your journey in aging.