I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Octogenarian's song

Some of last year's beauties

This coming Thursday, if it doesn't rain, Melanie and I will head down to the Skagit Valley and enjoy the Tulip Festival, since the early tulips have finally begun to show their magnificence to the world. We would have gone last week, but they weren't opening up quite yet. Here's what the Tulip Festival website says now: they're coming out, opening up to the sunshine. A little late, but still.

I have finally seen some early tulips around here, with many other gardens teasing me with their unopened buds, and just a few that receive south-facing sun have actually bloomed. Tulips are such pretty and ephemeral flowers (like most), just around long enough for one to admire and enjoy before they leave for another year. I have now visited the valley long enough to have seen them over many springtime flowerings. I cherish every single spring, and I've now seen more than most people are given: eighty! From the time I was a little toddler until today when I am now officially old, these springtime memories fill my mind and heart and I am overflowing with gratitude for my myriad blessings.

There's more to life than just existing, and I think I have been given the opportunity to know more of life's peaks and valleys than many other people have. For one thing, here I am beginning the ninth decade of life, when I know that not one day of one's existence is guaranteed, and in full knowledge of the brief time ahead. I have lost enough people during my life that I know the importance of celebrating the time we have together. SG and I have shared more than three decades, and I can only hope for a few more days, weeks, months, years to share with my life partner.

Looking back, I see how much the world, and especially my little corner of it, has changed during the time I've been alive. In 1942, when I was born, there were around 2.5 billion people alive on the planet. Right around the time I celebrated my eightieth birthday, the world population hit 8 billion. No wonder it seems more crowded wherever I go, it really is! Almost more than quadruple the number of people: that is not easy to overlook. And that's just the number; our world is drastically different today than it was then. I figure I'm lucky to be old because whatever changes are in store in the future, they probably won't all be rainbows and light. 

But then again, nothing is our future is written in stone. Nothing in our past, either. It all depends on one's perspective. I keep thinking about how quantum mechanics and Buddhists keep saying it's all in our minds, literally. That our experiences are created by our mental processes, and that they are not true for any of the other many minds outside of our own. And my memories of past events keeps changing as I continue to reminisce over this one or that one. I realized the truth of that when I found that I was alone in remembering certain events a certain way, and that when I recalled it once more, it had changed in the way I remembered it. 

You would think this would be disconcerting, but instead I find it sort of comforting, knowing that I can begin to remember people and places in ways that are happy rather than sad, if I (heh) put my mind to it. Sorry, I couldn't help myself with that thought. I'm sitting here in the dark with my dear partner sleeping quietly next to me, and the rain is pounding on the roof as I listen to what is happening outside. John will not be coming to take me to breakfast this morning, because he's sick with a cold. He tested twice for covid, but it appears it is either just a cold or maybe flu. He didn't give it to me, thank goodness, or I think I would have started to develop symptoms by now. I haven't had a cold since I started wearing masks during the pandemic, and I figure that the first one I get should be a doozy, after so much time not getting sick.

And of course, it will come sooner or later, because there are so many germs floating around everywhere, since we are perfect vessels for them to invade. I read somewhere that wearing a mask not only keeps one from being easily exposed to germs, but the warmth of your breath behind the mask also seems to offer some protection against infection during the winter months. 

We are now well into spring, and I am truly enjoying the blue skies (when we have them) and the incredible sounds of birds, now that I have my bionic ears functioning properly, and lovely green everywhere interspersed with the bright colors of flowers of every sort. The lilac bushes are showing big buds just a week or so away from flowering. One of my favorites, along with tulips. At this moment, as I sit here in the dark, I am feeling very content with life and hoping that I might find some time today between the raindrops to take a lovely walk in Cornwall Park, just a short distance away. The park has some magnificent old growth trees that greet me when I walk my normal path, and I greet them back with gratitude for their presence in my life.

I sometimes really wish I could sing, but my voice has become old, just like the rest of me. When I hear someone like Judy Collins (she's 83 and still singing) or Joan Baez (82, who I'll bet still sings in the shower), I figure I could work hard at it and find some voice that could carry a tune, but I don't even try anymore. I do sing to myself sometimes when I'm walking, which is how I know how much my voice has changed over the decades. The birds don't seem to mind, and I certainly love to listen to them as they call for mates or simply sing for the joy of it. I didn't realize how much I missed the sound of birdsong until I got my new ears.

Well, this has become somewhat of a meander through my disconnected thoughts, but it makes me happy to realize that I can still string together a bunch of them and get them onto the page without much difficulty. Another thing that has changed for the better as I have grown older is that the digital age has given me so much more connection that I ever thought I would still have after so many years of retirement. My entire virtual family is here, and we share posts and thoughts with one another that give me great satisfaction. And from all over the world, too! If I dreamed this up through my mind, it is simply one of the best things ever. You, my dear friends, are cherished and loved, and we get to share that with each other every day, every week, every year. To that, I give a resounding YES. 

I am overflowing with gratitude right now, which is how I really love to start the day. I'll search for some good coffee and wish John a quick recovery, and next week I'll be back here with some more memories. Until then, be well, and I wish you all good things.

15 comments:

Marty said...

What may have seemed to you like a string of unconnected thoughts brought me down a path with points where I stopped at each and thought, Yes, I feel that way, too!
Thank you for a mellow start to my day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Wonderful that you can now again hear the birds sing. And I bet if you kept practicing, your singing would also improve now that you can hear yourself well. Happy springtime to you!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I rarely sing out loud...but sometimes when Andy sings an oldie I join him...but I am tone deaf and my voice is flat. Hearing aids would not help! Good to hear that you like your new ears. I hope John feels better soon. It snowed here:(

Rita said...

I hope John feels lots better soon. Glad he doesn't have covid.
Feeling overwhelmed with gratitude over here, too. Have a super week! :)

Linda Reeder said...

I haven't really had a cold since I retired from teaching young children but I do get spring allergies. Because I have been exposed to COVID on Friday, now every little sniffle will keep me wondering if I am getting sick. I'll check in with my 95 year old friend today to see how she's doing.
We love the Tulip Festival but I'm not quite ready yet to tiptoe through the tulips this year. We'll miss it. We do have tulips ready to open in our garden and we have a trip planned to our Whidbey cabin for later in the month, where we have planted our recycled tulip bulbs.
I am very much enjoying the new growth coming out on the trees and bushes. New green is a joy of new life, even as we get nearer to the end of ours.
Keep feeling the joy. I'll work on it too.

Anvilcloud said...

Nature played a trick on me. I really like to sing but can’t do it very well. And it’s much worse now than it ever was.

Rian said...

DJan, you hit on so many things today that are relevant to me. Since so many brought up singing in their comments. I will put in my 2 cents here. I would LOVE to be able to sing... however, can't even carry a tune. I did sing to my grandkids when they were babies (some put their hands over my mouth ;)

"I know that not one day of one's existence is guaranteed, and in full knowledge of the brief time ahead..." I think this says what we all feel at this age (78 for me). Gratitude for getting this far and an eagerness to appreciate each day.

As for Covid and masks, I too feel that the masks have helped me go 3 years without even a cold. Say what you will, what works, works... (at least in my mind). I may be a forever masker (at least around crowds or in public places).

Sending good thoughts and wishes to John. Hope he is on the mend soon!

Elephant's Child said...

It is early Monday morning here (not yet dawn). I look forward each week to reading your Sunday musings.
Gratitude and anticipation are wonderful ways to start the day aren't they?
I hope John gets better quickly and that you avoid his cold.
Enjoy the tulip festival and the bird song. To the max.

John's Island said...

You wove a lot of happiness into this post. I’m always glad to see your reflections. Thanks, and have a fun visit to the Tulip Festival.

Gigi said...

I love your visits to the Tulip Festival and all the beautiful pictures you share! Tulips here are already done, I think. But I don't recall actually seeing any; hmmm. Maybe I need to pay more attention. Some of my iris did bloom this week and the peony is on the cusp of blooming.

I continue to mask most of the time; I figure I haven't been sick since the beginning of all this then it works. Too bad it doesn't help with allergies!

Waking up with a heart full of gratitude is something we should all strive to do every day.

Have a wonderful week, DJan!

William Kendall said...

I'm under the weather at present.

Red said...

I like your desire to sing. I would think there are many opportunities for you to sing. Singing would be thought of as something new to learn and helps in the aging process. So let me know when you strt to sing with a group. How about barbershop?

Nellie said...

I look forward to seeing pictures from the Tulip Festival! Oh, Joan Baez still sings! Most recently, impromptu in the airport with two of the #TennesseeThree. We have been mask wearers since the beginning, and we still wear them when indoors at public places or with crowds. We avoid situations with crowds as often as we are able. Hopefully John will recover quickly. I love to sing and sang in two community choral groups for several years. April is a special month for birthdays. Happy wishes to you!

Barwitzki said...

All the best wishes for you, April birthday girl.
It will be nice to see your tulip dreams... I hope they came true.
See you.
Hug of Viola

Kim S. said...

Make a joyful noise! Always appreciate your soothing and descriptive words. Kim in PA