I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Changing of the seasons

Dahlias mark late summer

I'll be glad when summer heat is behind us, but this week we have two or three days ahead that will be difficult for those of us who don't do well when it's hot: it won't be as bad as the awful heat at the end of June, but it won't be much fun, either. My ideal outdoor temperature is around 70°F (20-21°C), but we will be close to (or surpass) 90° by Thursday. 

Never mind. On the calendar, we are already past the halfway point between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox, which means that the worst of the high temperatures is behind us up here in the far northwestern corner of the country. And one thing that remains constant in our lives is change. I just re-read my post from last week, and I am sorry to tell you this one will be a seat-of-the-pants post, rather than one so well put together. Last week I began to think about what I would write a few days before, but this week it's just me again, no wonderful TED talk to inspire me, just my regular ruminations. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. As I sit here at the beginning, I am curious to see what emerges.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have reached my advanced age without real illness to deal with, but of course I have all the everyday problems that most of us struggle with as we age. I no longer seem to be able to hike uphill in full sun without having to slow way down and suffer, wishing I were anywhere else. My friend Melanie practically hauled me up to the pass on last Thursday's hike, encouraging me that I could do it as I struggled upwards. Once I was in the shade and resting, I was okay, but I noticed that night when I lay in bed waiting for sleep, my pulse rate was much higher than normal, reminding me that I had to get plenty of rest to recover. And I did; I slept nine hours and woke feeling refreshed.

Good thing, too: Friday was a full day, with my usual trip to the coffee shop and a trip to the gym to ride the stationary bike, then walking home through the blackberry bushes with lots of tasty ripe bursts on my tongue; then to my acupuncturist's office for a treatment and lastly, a massage. By the time I walked back home after all that, I felt wonderful.  

Yesterday was a nice five-mile walk in light rain with Melanie. We walked to Squalicum Harbor, one of our favorite Saturday walks, and it was delightful to experience some rain for a change: it had been 53 days since our last sprinkles, and although we only got a quarter of an inch for the entire day, it was enough to clear the air and give us nice cool temperatures. We finished with a quick trip to the Saturday Farmers' Market and shared a freshly baked scone. 

And now here I sit in the dark, listening to the morning sounds coming through the open window, tapping my keys and thinking about what's on my mind. I've been reading a book that I'm enjoying quite a lot. It's just one of three other books I'm making my way through, one in hardback and the rest on my Kindle. I think I told you that I recently purchased a Paperwhite Kindle and retired my old Kindle Fire. I love it and find it much easier to use than actual physical books. I'm also getting in the habit of re-reading books I enjoy a lot, and there they are, right at my fingertips on my Paperwhite. The battery lasts for an amazing amount of time, and I've found settings that are easier on my eyes and allow me to read longer than I would otherwise.

The book I'm enjoying so much is The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Four Paws of Spiritual Success. It's part of a series of four books, and David Michie, the author, writes from the point of view of a fabulous cat. He introduces the reader to many Buddhist beliefs and ideas, and all of it is easy to understand without getting into the philosophical weeds. And it ties together many different aspects of my own spiritual journey. I've now been practicing yoga for more than six years now and have enjoyed the readings each instructor gives at the beginning of class, which all come from B.K.S. Iyengar's book Light on Yoga, who founded the branch of yoga I practice.
The requirements for our evolution have changed. Survival is no longer sufficient. Our evolution now requires us to develop spiritually — to become emotionally aware and make responsible choices. It requires us to align ourselves with the values of the soul — harmony, cooperation, sharing, and reverence for life. —Gary Zukav

 Through yoga practice, I've learned quite a lot about the spiritual values listed above: harmony, cooperation, sharing, and reverence for life. It all is summed up in Michie's book about HHC, the Dalai Lama's cat (His Holiness' Cat) and intriguing for people like me who are always searching for ways to find harmony in one's life.

Now that I am approaching my seventy-ninth birthday, I find myself looking for ways to express my gratitude for all that I've lived through: I've endured grief, joy, sadness, and I find myself today surrounded by love for the life I've been blessed with. I did think when I was young that by the time I reached the age of almost eighty that I'd be ready to let go and lie down for my final sleep. But right now, today, I am filled with enough joyous energy to feel like I could keep going for a long time to come. But I know better. Our bodies were not designed to keep us going for much longer than I've already experienced. I will attempt to make use of these waning years of life to the fullest I can.

We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away. —Zhuangzi

I am learning about impermanence, the ebb and flow of life and the precious gift of having lived at all. When I was young, it was scary to think of death, but now it seems like part of the blessing of living: My life won't last, just like everything else, and requires me to stop what I'm doing and open my eyes, look around in wonder, and take each day as it comes.  

I'm sitting here in midsummer with the joy of fall right around the corner. And I know I have the coffee shop directly ahead of me in this day's enjoyment, once I get up and start the rest of my day. My dear partner, who takes such good care of me, is still sleeping quietly as I tap the keys. The sun has risen and light flows through the window, beckoning me to come outside and play.

Dear friends, until we meet again next week, God willing, I hope you will enjoy a wonderful week filled with friends and family and furry cats, if that is what you wish. Please be safe and I wish you all good things.


17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I dare say I'll like that book, so will begin a search for it. So glad you have support of friends and spouse, as well as wonderful ways to treat your body. Mine is also about to hit that 79 year mark, and I will certainly look forward to fall of the year just around the corner. Enjoy your week to come, and I'll be looking for you here next week!

gigi-hawaii said...

You are fortunate to have Melanie to encourage you on your hikes and walks. Good for her! I did not know that you are 4 years older than me. I am 75. Many people find Buddhism a great way to live spiritually, and I am glad that you find some comfort in it. Take care and God bless.

Linda Reeder said...

I have decided that I am not a spiritual person. I am a cerebral person. I think, a lot. But part of that is daily problem solving, and that works for me, keeps me going. This morning I am figuring out my timeline for the day - get up and get going, check in with DJan, have breakfast and fetch the newspaper to read later, do my hour plus of physical therapy, and then change into my gardening clothes to do some more heavy hands and knees work in the yard.
I have appreciated these few days of coolness and have spent much of them working outside, getting the garden back in shape. It's summer slump time and it's predicted to be 96 by Thursday, so then I'll be back in moving slow time.
My sister is coming for a visit for the day on Tuesday. We are going to Whidbey on Wednesday to clean up that garden, and then we'll ride out the next heat wave, but without the Olympics to watch now. Reading will take the place of the TV I guess.
Stay cool.

ApacheDug said...

I will admit I greatly enjoyed last week's post, I came back to revisit it a couple times; but your ruminations suit me (and I'm sure most others) just fine. :^) That 5 mile walk sounds daunting (I'm quite sure it'd be too much for me) but blackberries fresh off the vine? Acupuncture, a massage? DJan, in my eyes you are the very definition of aging gracefully.

I hope your week ahead is a cool and comfortable one.

Arkansas Patti said...

I think your have cornered the market on just enjoying life regardless of age. And you keep filling your days with pleasures to make them all a joy. Hey, blueberries and a massage and a stimulating book?? You can't beat that.

Marie Smith said...

With numbered days, it is good to make the most of them. Having health which allows one to be active is so fortunate. We must as avail of good health while it lasts.

Have a great week.

Rian said...

That quote by Gary Zakuv is wonderful... and very appropriate for today and all the world is going through. Thanks for sharing it, DJan. I agree with Dug in that you do seem to be aging gracefully - something we should all strive to do. We need to maintain our health through exercise and healthy eating, maintain our minds by staying busy and productive/creative, and maintain our souls with harmony, cooperation, sharing, and reverence for life as mentioned in Zakuv's quote. And if I could add one more thing here, it would be for those of us aging (whether gracefully or not) that we not fear death... and look upon it as the next big adventure...

Galen Pearl said...

I loved Zukav's first book The Dancing Wu Li Masters, published in 1979! It was eye opening for me at that time -- an awakening experience.

What a sweet and accepting reflection on our aging and dying. I have watched friends die with accepting serenity, and others with fighting resistance. I used to think that those who fought till the last breath deprived themselves of a peaceful death. But then I thought that we all have our own paths to death. I like to think that mine will be graceful and accepting, but who knows? Like you, I've been blessed so far with good health, but my age tells me that my life is on the home stretch.

A good morning meditation I've used comes from a book about grief. When I wake up in the morning, I remind myself "I am one day closer to my death." How do I want to spend the day? What are my priorities for the day? What is most important?

Thanks for always sharing your gentle wisdom and your generous heart.

Elephant's Child said...

I read The Dalai Lama's Cat this year - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Real books for me though.
Your commitment to enjoying life to the full is inspirational dear friend.

William Kendall said...

There is heat here as well at the moment.

Red said...

In the last few years I have had to be careful about how much time I spend in the sun and hot days. It's like many other things I've had to adapt to as a senior. One thing I find hard to change is my movements and I end up falling.

Anvilcloud said...

Your Sunday posts are always impressive.

I remember when Gary Zukov was a thing on Oprah. My very Christian BIL was aghast. Spirituality means so many different things to people, but his definition would be suitable for me although I may prefer a different word. I don't know what that would be though. :)

aurora said...

I enjoyed reading your regular rumination. Food for thought on topics that weigh heavy on my mind these days...

Far Side of Fifty said...

I can understand how the heat would be awful, especially without Air Conditioning. BUT you are a wise woman and will know when the heat is up and the hike is not a shady one to do some other hike that suits you and your ankle better.

This is Funeral week, one old friend and one relative. 65 and 76 years old. Heart attack at the breakfast table and Pneumonia. Both were Christians who knew they were saved by God's grace and grace alone. It gives me great comfort to know that they will be in heaven when I get there along with all those I love who have gone before me...probably even some people that I don't like very much will be there too.

You read some "heavy" stuff...I guess I read for entertainment...not so much for thought!
I hope you have a wonderful week! :)

John's Island said...

Spur-of-the-moment, or not, you do a fine job putting together Eye on the Edge. If someone asked me, what does DJan blog about? My answer would be aging with grace. I enjoy reading your approach to challenges we all face as we get older. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Margaret said...

Lovely writing, which sometimes happens with a less planned out post. I caved in and had a heat pump put in. I'm using my 15 month old grandson as an excuse. If he can't sleep, none of the rest of us can. I am looking forward to fall.

Boud said...

As we age, and you are quite a bit younger than I, the greatest of all blessings is good health. Everything seems to flow from it.