I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Contemplating being alive

Squalicum Harbor yesterday

Yesterday, Saturday, my friend Melanie and I walked for around five miles at the marina in Bellingham Bay, under sunny and delightful skies. It wasn't very hot, since the sun at this time of the year is quickly moving towards the fall equinox. It's the very last days of summer, with just a week before the Labor Day weekend, the unofficial end of the summer. The actual equinox will be on September 22, three weeks from this coming Wednesday. Right around the corner.

This is my favorite time of the year, when the days are crystal clear but not hot, and the trees begin to turn colors, while flowers are still abundant everywhere I look. I am so fortunate to still be able to walk that distance, at my age. I know so many other people who cannot because of injuries or other infirmities. But I am still alive and enjoying every single day as much as possible. I know it won't last. Nothing does, really: not youth, not health, or even the season of life.

When I look at how much has changed in the world during my lifetime, which is considerable but not all that long in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty amazing. When I was born in 1942, the entire world population was 2.3 billion, while today we are approaching 8 billion. That statistic alone tells the tale of how much our world has changed. You cannot add that many people into the world without profound deleterious effects. We are changing the climate in terrifying ways, along with many billions of children born into a world that cannot feed them. And I could go on and on with the bleak outlook that comes along with the population explosion, but I won't. That's not what I want to focus on, but instead I want to think about how much the last eight decades of life have given me.

There are many significant people still alive who were also born in that year: President Biden, Michael Bloomberg, Barbra Streisand, Harrison Ford, to name a few. And there are many other famous people who have died: Stephen Hawking, Jimi Hendrix, and Jerry Garcia, among many others. I remember when each one died, and I don't remember thinking that their deaths were premature, other than Jimi Hendrix, who died in 1970 at the age of 27. I wonder what he would say about the world today. He accomplished so much in his short life and is still well known more than a half century after his death.

I learned to read at an early age, and I know that being able to make sense of my world was much increased by having that skill. These days, graduating from high school is no assurance that you will have learned to read. I suppose you could function quite well by just being able to watch TV. I well remember when we got our first one (I was a pre-teen), a black-and-white console that took up lots of space in the living room. It was our connection to the outside world, even though the snowy images of newscasters was very different from the images we see today. Are we better off for having such incredible connectivity? I wonder. Now I immediately am aware of everything of note that is happening throughout the entire world, and it's enough to dismay even the most positive of outlooks. 

Even though there are so many people, we are still making progress on extending the lifespan of those of us who are alive today. Now you can get new knees, hips, and shoulders, even if you don't realize how much will be required to regain your mobility, and it's just not the same. I haven't needed any of that, and I don't think at my age that I would submit to it. After all, now that I have lived a full life, I have to consider the quality of those years I have left. Fortunately I can still get out and walk and enjoy the forests and trails that surround me. If I couldn't get out and about any longer, I think I would find some way to enjoy the outdoors differently. One of my blogging friends was active and spent plenty of time outdoors, and then he had a procedure that ended up paralyzing him and putting him into a wheelchair. He has found a way to continue to enjoy life, and I appreciate reading about his life today and find it inspiring.

 When I was 57, I needed to have my knee repaired after having torn the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). I remember going to a couple of doctors who suggested that I should just learn to live with it, at my advanced age. It took several visits to surgeons before I found one that would work on me. I was reminded of how difficult the rehab would be and asked if I felt I was up to it. And I got the work done and learned just what they were talking about. It was not easy, but it was worth it. 

Today I have a good friend who is getting his second shoulder rebuilt, an even more difficult procedure, and he is 81! How times have changed. He has already gotten new knees and does pretty well with them, even going dancing now and then, and now his shoulders are being replaced, one at a time. I have considered what I would have done if I were in his shoes, and I'm not sure I would want to endure it. But it's not my choice to make. Everybody needs to do what feels right for them. 

It would be different if I were in constant pain, I suspect. Not that I don't have twinges of pain and discomfort from my joints, but I can still carry on with the help of exercises and, especially, yoga. I do think that practice has helped me stay flexible and able to continue to enjoy the outdoors to the maximum. When that changes, I will reconsider. But I am determined to enjoy the time left to me, and I will continue what has become sacred to me, my Sunday morning meditation here, and my ability to connect to my dear virtual friends. 

But as in all things, it is time to bring this post to an end, so I can get out of bed and get on with the rest of my day. It's taken longer than usual to get here, and I feel the pull of the day helping me to bring it to a close. You might notice I have given little bandwidth to the news of the day. That is on purpose; I need a break from it, as I'm sure you do, too.

My dear partner still sleeps quietly, my tea is gone, and I am ready to start the rest of my day. Until we meet again next week, dear friends, I wish you all good things.

19 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope you have a wonderful week. Fall is coming along strong here, leaves falling along with temperatures. :)

Rian said...

Djan, I too wonder if at my age I would want to go through some of those procedures... but you are right and we never know what we will do until we are in the situation ourselves. And I try to not dwell on all the catastrophes going on in the world. I guess I feel that we need to know what is going on... but not 24/7. It gets to be a bit much.
Of course right now we are in contact with our family and friends in New Orleans and Baton Rouge awaiting Hurricane Ida to make landfall any minute. Most have remained in their homes to stick it out. Evacuating means long lines of bumper to bumper traffic and the risk of running out of gas, as well as getting caught out on the road when the storm hits.

Linda Reeder said...

I have returned home from our little vacation on the Oregon Coast. While I mourn the loss of the freedom of movement I used to have, and the long beach walks and the scrambles up hills, I rejoice at what i can still do, see, and enjoy. Life is a process.
I'll be publishing a few more posts with photos.
But today, after a restless night and a late start, I must be up and at it. I have my PT to do, flowers to pick, a yard to check over, and this evening, a Sounders match at the stadium. My new motto: While I can, I will.

Marie Smith said...

My husband and I walked the dog along the boardwalk this morning. That time in nature, watching the birds and the squirrels is my morning meditation. So relaxing and peaceful, watching the small wonders of nature, I feel rejuvenated every time I am there. We will hold on to this simple pleasure as long as we can and attempt to focus on the natural world, not on the harmful or inconsiderate things people do to others.

Have a wonderful week, Jan. Take care.

Arkansas Patti said...

While you may have scaled down a little from the woman you were say 5 years ago, you still out pace anyone much younger than you that I know. I am like you about jumping into replacement of repair surgery. I had messed up my shoulder a few years ago and contemplated surgery but declined. I put up with the sudden pains that made me feel like I had been shot. Then a chiropractor, working on something else told me to try something. It seems I was re-injuring my shoulder practically every day. He told me to keep my elbow close to my ribs whenever reaching, pulling or pushing which I faithfully did and amazingly, I no longer have any pain. Zero. Not sure there is a simple cure for everything but I go there first now days.
Keep setting the bar high for the rest of us Djan.

Elephant's Child said...

We are heading into Spring here - at top speed. I am enjoying it, but am with you in loving autumn.
You are right about the constant exposure to 'news'. I find it overwhelming and frequently need to step away. So often the news is truly awful, and about things/situations I cannot alter.
Your persistence and positive attitude inspire me, and I am endlessly grateful to be allowed to walk (at a much slower speed) with you. Thank you.

gigi-hawaii said...

Wow, he is 81 and going to have his shoulders repaired, one by one? Incredible! David has arthritis of the shoulders and can barely lift his arms. He does not want surgery to replace those shoulders, because the rehab will be so inconvenient. However, he did have 2 knees replaced with no problem. Don't know what the future will bring.

ApacheDug said...

DJan, I always appreciate your Sunday thoughts. You’re a very honest person, and take nothing for granted. (I think the latter comes with aging, as the older I get the more I appreciate everything & everyone around me.) Still, you always give me much to think about. I was surprised to read you’re the same age as people like Harrison Ford & Barbra Streisand. Maybe that’s why I see you more as a peer and less as someone who’s 3 years younger than my mother… I don’t see them as being close to her age either. Well DJan, I know you take real care of yourself and you continue to inspire/motivate some of us to do more/better. And other than your knee repair, I’m very glad you haven’t had to get things like hips and shoulders replaced—especially with all your years of skydiving! (I just remembered all that!) Hope you have a great week ahead, DJan.

Linda Myers said...

This morning I can see the light has changed. It's late August, and fall will soon be here. I used to dread this time before the seasonal darkness, but now I enjoy it, because I know we'll be off to Arizona in a couple months.

I am nine days past hip replacement surgery. This morning my husband Art and I went out for breakfast - first time out of my house since the surgery. I will be using a walker for maybe two more weeks. With faithfulness to my PT, I anticipate a return to my most loved outdoor activities - bicycling and walking. It has been a couple of years since those activities haven't resulted in pain.

Gigi said...

My mother in law had her hips replaced (one at a time) when she was in her mid 80's...so she could keep bowling - for her it was worth the rehab - and she's still going strong and is facing her 90th birthday next month.

You are wise to take a break from the news - it is very upsetting. I wish that for every dire news story they would air a happy/feel good story...

Have a great week, my friend. xo

William Kendall said...

I have always found that reading the paper is better than television news. It gives much needed distance.

Red said...

In 1942 knee, hip and shoulder replacements had not been thought of. They had been thinking about heart replacement. What's next in the next in the next 79 years? We won't know , will we?

Rita said...

Keep on going on your glorious walks, my friend. I hope you never have to debate about big surgeries like that. You are a marvel! :)

Anvilcloud said...

Life is a gift, and you are aware enough to appreciate it. I believe that no matter what people are going through at any given time, that there can still be good moments in the day to latch onto.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, Every week it is a pleasure to stop by and see what you have written for the latest edition of Eye. Sometimes I like to comment early on Sunday morning and other times it is fun to wait and see what all the other regulars have to say. For this post I picked out one sentence that is my favorite ... "But I am determined to enjoy the time left to me, and I will continue what has become sacred to me, my Sunday morning meditation here, and my ability to connect to my dear virtual friends." One of my joys is being one of your virtual friends. Thank you for writing and I wish you a fine week ahead. John PS I hope you found the reply I left for you on my blog about how to access the closing episodes of ALONE.

Betsy said...

Your posts always bring me so much encouragement. Thank you for that. And thank you for the respite from the news. There is too much of that for all of us.
I have a friend who has had both hips replaced, (she's 76 this year), and she's very grateful for it but since I took care of her after both surgeries, I know how hard the recovery was.
I also cared for my best friend who had a hip replacement last fall at 62. It was SO hard for her and she's still in pain. Not sure she would do it again.
Life sure gives us challenges doesn't it? Without my pacemaker that I got at 55, I wouldn't be here today so I'm pretty grateful for it.
Take care my friend. Enjoy the crisp fall days. I sure enjoyed my time in Spokane last week with the nice crisp nights that I love and miss. It's still hot and very humid here in Omaha but we're here, we're alive and I have my friends to communicate with online.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings.....
It is good to read that you are well.
the only constant in life is change. Sad it seems humans care little about the earth, the truth is though, the earth doesn't need us to live but we need it to life and the earth will be here long after we are gone and forgotten.

Continue to stay safe.
peace and blessings to you and yours.
Rhapsody.

Margaret said...

It sounds like you've adapted well to the changes that age brings; the advancements in medicine have been astounding and have helped repair many issues that would have been debilitating in the past. The pandemic has made me treasure that I can still be active outside and I've discovered a love of walking and the small beauties of nature.

Azka Kamil said...

I hope you have a wonderful week