I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Contemplating roses

Cornwall Rose Garden rose

 Truths and roses have thorns about them. —Henry David Thoreau

We have reached the Ides of August (the middle of the month) and late summer of 2021. It's a fraught time in the history of the planet. I wish there were more good news these days, but every time I turn on the TV and settle in to watch what's happening in the world today, I feel emotional pain, not just for the way the Covid virus is apparently sending us all backwards into lockdown, but how the children are vulnerable, and that this is still seen by some as a hoax. I feel also the pain of the people in the Middle East, where Afghanistan is falling to the Taliban, probably this week. Then yesterday Haiti suffered another earthquake and hundreds of people are buried in the rubble. And that's just the headlines.

I could go on and on, but I won't. It doesn't seem to help to wallow in misery, and there's enough of it in the news that I cannot easily bring myself to look away. For my own health, however, I realize that I must find the other side of this moment and think what it will look like in retrospect. What will be read about in history books about this moment in time? That it was when we turned the corner and started the journey towards truth and reconciliation? Or the moment when we lost our way completely and gave up the pretense that we are in charge in any way at all? Only time will give us the answer to that. The one thing I know for sure is that it is a pivotal and decisive moment.

So I will settle in on this Sunday morning to look for the bright spots in my own life, since there are many, and why not bring the moment into my own bedroom, listening to the sounds of summer outside my window? Yes, that is a much better idea than to try and make sense of the rest of it. I can hear a gull calling, interspersed with the harsh call of crows, and the distant sound of a train whistle. Otherwise, it is quiet as we await the sunrise. Days are much shorter now, and the sun doesn't come up until a few minutes after 6:00am today. We are losing more than three minutes of daylight every day, which adds up to quite a lot every week. 

As we get closer to the autumnal equinox, the world around me begins to ready itself for fall: leaves are beginning to change color, the garden is in full display, with grapes ripening on the arbor that Carter fashioned from a small planting of a few years ago. I thought it was strange when I saw him putting up large beams of driftwood over the area, but now it is a sweet little grotto of shade and the grapes are abundant everywhere. I had no idea that grape plants grew so quickly! It's so lovely and within less than a month we will be eating the fruit.

Last week I got quite a shock when I stepped on the scales, something I do every morning. I knew that I had been eating more than I should, and foods that I find comforting, like ice cream and buttered toast. Finally I could no longer deny what had transpired: it was either buy larger clothes or decide to stop the slide. I saw a number on the scales that I hadn't seen in years, so I decided to start counting my calories again. I had deleted from my phone an app I've used before, Lose It! When I got rid of it before, it told me that I would lose all my previous information, but when I downloaded it again, I found that it recognized me and gave me access to all the foods and meals I had entered before. What a nice surprise!

Now I am back to reasonable eating again, remembering how tasty an apple is when you are not looking for a big bowl of coffee ice cream. It makes me approach food quite differently when I must count those calories and not just rummage around aimlessly for something to munch on. And with all the wonderful salad delights that abound in the garden, it's become my newest project: lose that weight! It's been almost a week, and I can already see the difference in the way my favorite shorts fit. Instead of being uncomfortably tight, I can actually slide a finger or two into the waistband. Of course, they are a bit looser for having been worn for a couple of days, but still! I'm happy that I'm back again to thinking of food as fuel. It amazes me at how quickly I reach the daily calorie limit, in order to lose a half-pound a week, which is plenty fast enough for me. And it's also nice to treat myself as a worthwhile project.

Today our weather has broken from the latest heat wave and smoky skies we endured all last week. Today it's normal again, with clear skies and good air quality, which was impacted by the British Columbia forest fires and plenty of abnormally hot days. At least not what we usually have in mid-August. We will once again enjoy temperatures in the mid-seventies (24°C) during the day, and cool nights. And since the nights are getting longer and the days shorter, we have hopefully weathered the worst of the summer heat for this year. It was so strange to see orange skies and being unable to close our windows because of the hot temperatures. I rejoice in our usual delightful weather.

I am still enjoying my three-times-a-week Zoom yoga classes, although my favorite teacher has moved on after a decade and a half of instructing us. The new teacher will soon become another favorite, I think, since she's not only very sweet and attentive to her students, but she challenges us just enough and takes our individual needs into consideration. I will miss Denise (my previous instructor) for a long time, but she has promised to make a couple of videos for us to purchase from her, so we can go back into the past and enjoy her teaching at our leisure. Not exactly the same as a live class, but I'll take it.

Today is the anniversary of my son Chris' death, as well as the anniversary of the birthday of my son Stephen. Both of them are with the angels, but this is a day I don't let go by without acknowledging, and thinking of how different my life would have been if they had stayed on the planet as my children. By now they would probably both have given me great-grandchildren. Instead, I rejoice in the offspring of my blogging friends. It gives me great pleasure to see those remote children growing up and becoming grownups themselves. I love them very much and am so appreciative of the sharing of their lives with me and all others who read your blogs. I love my electronic family!

I just looked at the clock and realize that I've been here for almost two hours now, composing this for our enjoyment, and helping me to put into perspective this last week of news of the world. It helps me to write this, and I hope it helps you too. I tried not to dwell on the negative but emphasize the positive. One thing we all know is that it will change, the world with its trials and tribulations will continue to evolve into whatever is coming next. I am optimistic.

And with that, dear friends, I will leave you for today. My dear partner still sleeps quietly next to me, the sun came up and is brightening my day, and the coffee shop and my friends there are beckoning. Until we meet again next week, I wish you all good things. Be well.

17 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Hi DJan. I am with you about losing weight, which I need to do. Also, I just need to eat more fruits and veggies. Today, I shall start the purge. I feel the pain of your loss of your two sons. Time marches on, but you never forget. Take care.

ApacheDug said...

I liked this sentence "And that's just the headlines". A couple times in the last couple months I've blogged something, watched the news and felt compelled to take my recent blog down. As if I wasn't showing current tragedies enough respect. Now I'm trying to see it differently, my life and people I care about are not suffering, and that's something to feel good about. There's always going to be tragedies. I'm sorry for your anniversaries too, DJan. My mom used to tell us one of her biggest fears was outliving her children, I'm sure all mothers feel the same. Lastly, I applaud your weight loss efforts. It's a tough mindset to get into. It seems like most people give up after they reach an older age, myself included. Best of luck with your efforts and I hope your week is a cooler one!

Anvilcloud said...

Sorry about the grief that you must be experiencing today, even if it just a bit after such a long time.

We’ve had two decent days after awful heat last week. The temp even went down to 50F last night Although it will heat up again tomorrow, it will, apparently, be less humid and, therefore, more bearable. AT least I sure hope so.

Boud said...

Such a poignant day for you. My husband died on our son's birthday, so August 8 comes round each year with a lot of swirling emotions. Ny son is still with us, my only relative. Losses are not easier as the year pass, just different. Prayers for you.

John's Island said...

Hi DJan, I love the rose photo and the quote by Henry David Thoreau is a perfect start. Caught my attention: "on the arbor that Carter fashioned ..." is that SG you're talking about? I believe it's the first time I've heard you mention Carter. In any event, it's neat that you'll be enjoying fruit grown on the arbor. In the next two paragraphs you talked about gaining weight and that number you saw on the scales. I also stepped on the scales a few days ago but got some welcome news. Over the last 3 months I've lost 10 pounds. There is only one reason for this: daily walks of 2+ miles. I think it's the daily thing that makes the difference. Lastly, I sure agree with you about getting back to our regular weather. Here in Seattle it is much cooler today ... 66F at about 11:30am. Most of the smoke is gone as well. Thanks for sharing Eye with us and for your kind comments on my blog. By the way, I think you watched Episode 9 of Alone ... only 2 more to go! :-) Hope you are enjoying! Have a fine week ahead! John

Elephant's Child said...

I try (very hard) to focus on the positives. Sometimes I struggle but it is always worth the effort.
Thank you for the reminder - and good luck on your weight loss journey.

Linda Reeder said...

I've come a bit late to your post this Sunday morning. The sun has long been up and has now broken through the coastal fog - not smoke!- that has cooled us this morning. I have been for my 1.25 mile walk - that's about my limit these days - and it feels good to get back out there, even if it's hard. I have also completed my thrice weekly Physical Therapy workout for today.
My weight is up too, beyond where I permit it to go. It's the ice cream. When our supply is gone I will have to stop buying any more. I might check out your calorie counter, or I might just try to self monitor my intake. It's hard though. I really do like to eat.
As I skimmed the newspaper yesterday the headlines were so worrisome. I try not to think about it all too deeply, since there is so little I can do besides just be aware.
Peace be with you.

Arkansas Patti said...

Sending you hugs and good wishes on this painful day. I am just so glad you have SG and your friends (real and virtual) to lean on.
Yes the headlines are hard to take also. There just seems to be such great amounts of mass suffering these days. It is interesting to think how history will treat these times. Hopefully there will be a turning point where we seriously tackle global warming and people will once again care about their fellow humans and do what is right. I truly believe this.
Find something today that makes you smile, I plan to.

Gigi said...

Sending love and hugs today as you remember your children.

I was so proud of myself that I hadn't gained weight during the lockdown - but then I got on the scale a week or so ago...it's not too bad and I'm also clamping down on my eating habits, so hopefully, it won't take too long to get back to where I want to be.

Marie Smith said...

I am back to avoiding the news again. So much heartache and destruction in the world. Focussing on the positive in my own life helps as you have done. Hugs to you on this day, Jan. Take care.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Any kind of news is not good news. Delta and now the Lambda are both scary...I wonder where it will all end. I am so thankful for a quiet spot in the woods. I am thankful for you and our friendship in the blogosphere. I hope you have a good week!
The Grape Arbor sounds interesting...we used to have grapes here but Chance kept eating them and they can be poisonous for dogs so we dug them out.
Stay cool!

Red said...

You covered a lot of territory in this post. I used to be a very optimistic person with the glass always half full. I'm not that way any more. I wonder if age has something to do with it. I didn't realize that two of the anniversaries of your boys is on one day. I see the climate changing rapidly and when it has changed it will be most difficult to turn around. Society cannot get it's act together to change things.

Betsy said...

I'm thinking of you especially today as you remember your boys with love. The world does seem to have gotten itself into a pickle hasn't it? With a LOT of and our help. May solutions be found and implemened for both the Covid situation and for the pickles we get ourselves into.
Blessings,
Betsy

Rian said...

I'm late reading blogs this week. It's strange as even though retired, I always seem to be trying to catch up. So much to do... even as I speak there are things I need to do besides reading and commenting on blogs. But it will all get done (eventually). And our attitude makes a big difference. Despite all the negatives going on these days, it's important to focus on the good - although listening to the news makes this difficult. I too wonder what history will make of these times.
I can't imagine losing a child - let alone two... there are no words. But I would hug you if I could.
As for the weight, DJan, I wish you luck with that. You are so focused, I don't think it will take you long to get where you want to be.

Rita said...

I always love your Sunday posts.
You are a sweet part of my electronic family. :)

William Kendall said...

Days like this will always remind you of the loss.

Dee said...

Dear DJan, thank you, as always, for sharing your musings and concerns with us. This posting of yours really hit home for me. That's because, I, too, am feeling some despondency about what is happening in our country and throughout the world. The sentence " I must find the other side of this moment and think what it will look like in retrospect" stopped me in my tracks. I think your phrase "The other side of this moment" is powerfully helpful. The whole paragraph in which that sentence appears is one that helped me put my fears in perspective. Thank you for that. I think I'll return again and again to this posting. Peace.