I stepped from Plank to Plank
A slow and cautious way
The Stars about my Head I felt
About my feet the Sea.

I knew not but the next
Would be my final inch -
This gave me that precarious Gait
Some call Experience.

Emily Dickinson, c. 1864

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Golden days of summer

Sunflower beauty

Late summer. When everything is so pretty because you know what's coming behind all the bursting flowers. It's my favorite time of the year, when the garden is at its peak of production, tomatoes ripen, the birds and bees are abundant, and the cool weather will not be a sometime event, but every day will be a mixture of sun and clouds, with the rain hopefully returning. The trees are beginning to show their fall colors already.

I am not a summer person. Exercising in the heat has become very hard for me, and I wilt in the sunshine. It wasn't always this way, but lately I am careful not to expose myself to full sun while trying to walk uphill. Don't misunderstand me; I am very happy to be able to still hike several miles and appreciate my body's abilities, especially at my advanced age. Every day I see people younger than me who are not fit enough to join me on my walks, so I give thanks for what I have. 

It's interesting to think about how much my life has changed over the decades, and how throughout it all, it's been important to me that I can walk and hike and basically do all that. So many things that I thought were important have fallen away, such as running and skydiving. There was a time when I believed that I would never want to stop those things and that I would be able to continue forever.

It makes me wonder if the same would be true if I couldn't go into the forests around here and walk to my heart's content. One of these days I might be unable to continue to do the things that seem impossible to give up. What I have learned over the decades is that I can, and that I will find a way to be happy and content with whatever life brings to me. For now, I need to appreciate each day and keep taking care of myself. I know I am fortunate and don't want to take it for granted.

Several of my online friends have told me that they are no longer watching the news on a daily basis. I am still addicted to it, but I now keep my consumption down to a bare minimum, so that I can continue to find equanimity in my daily life. It's true that where you focus your attention can make all the difference between enjoyment and despair. And what good does it accomplish to cry and grieve at the world situation, when my own small circle is the only place I can find joy and love?
Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief. —Marcus Tullius Cicero
I am grateful for my friends, both physical and virtual. I have learned how other people are coping during this tumultuous time in the history of the world. I am also finding new ways to see the world around me. I know it is possible to lose track of what's important and drown in sorrow, because I've been there quite a few times in the past few weeks. I need to keep myself uplifted rather than allow myself to give in to the darkness. And I will. Perhaps I can bring you along with me, what do you say? Or maybe you will bring ME into the light and we can dance in the sunbeams together. I believe that's what friends are for.

* * *

I've got several books going at once right now, and one has helped me to fall asleep every night, by reading just one short chapter after I climb into bed. It's another David Michie book, which is giving me another look at mindfulness and meditation. Once upon a time I meditated every day and found it to be very fulfilling, and these days I have attempted to find some time to take up the practice again. In any event, his writings always make me feel lighter and happier. 

My sister Norma Jean also told me about a book she read recently and recommended it highly: Midnight Library by Matt Haig. I've downloaded it onto my Paperwhite but haven't started it yet. I read the reviews and am looking forward to reading it. It's been a bestseller for a year now, and has been included on many lists as one not to miss, so I've also got that treasure to look forward to.

About that Paperwhite: I've found that reading on the device allows me to continue reading for much longer than when I am reading straight text from a physical book. My brother suggested that I enlarge and bold the text and find a font that I find appealing. I've done all that, and now I can lay aside my reading glasses and keep going for much longer. My eyes are definitely fading, due to the macular degeneration, but this helps me so much that I am encouraged I'll be able to keep reading for a good long time to come. That also makes me happy.

When I look at my life through the lens of gratitude, I can't imagine why I would not be able to find joy everywhere I look. I have so many reasons to celebrate each day as it comes. Sunday mornings I begin my day with this post, and although I had no idea what would come out today, I know that in spite of whatever my readers might glean from it, the post has helped me to change my own perspective to one that looks forward to the day to come, and those that follow as well. 

My dear partner still sleeps next to me, and he's so still that I listen for his breathing. Ah, there it is, all is well. My tea is gone and my latte at the coffee shop beckons, along with my friends who will join me there, as usual. It's supposed to rain today, and after all the dry days, I'm looking forward to putting on my raincoat and allowing the cleansing drops to fall around me. Life is good.

I hope that whatever this day brings, you will find a moment to look around and see what wonders abound. They are there, with just a little nudge towards joy, I'll bet most of us can find some. Please remember that you are valued and that at least one person wishes you all good things. Be well, dear friends.

22 comments:

Galen Pearl said...

So glad I tuned in early to your post this morning. I liked your description of how writing your post centers your perspective as you begin your day. I like to begin my days with some inspirational reading and meditation, along with some stretches and qigong exercises. I don't always get to spend as much time as I would like -- on days when I do get to, I can easily spend 2-3 hours before breakfast! Most days this is shortened to 30-45 minutes. Regardless of the length of time, spending some time to center my focus on gratitude and trust is a good way to start the day.

Linda Reeder said...

I slept in. I needed to after several hours of wakefulness in the middle of the night. My mind was full of the conversations I had with my sister after spending most of the day with her. We have to tread lightly sometimes, since we differ rather sharply in our opinions over some issues. But she is still my sister so we are careful.
That's kind of how I treat the news too, treading lightly enough that I can be informed but not overwhelmed. I do confess to some anger over those who refuse vaccinations. Our health care workers bear the brunt of that.
I have been reading almost exclusively on my Kindle for years now. Like you, I set the size and boldness of the font so that it is easy on my eyes. It's wonderful.
Since it is supposed to be cool all day, I don't need to rush to finish my PT and then get my walk in. I have all of the rest of the morning to do that. But I'd better get going!
Peace be with you.

Rian said...

Thanks for the recommendation of The Midnight Library. I listened to an audio section and it does seem appealing. I'll definitely check it out.
"One of these days I might be unable to continue to do the things that seem impossible to give up" - these words may me think about someone I saw on the news this morning. An 101 year old woman in Maine who still lobster fished with her 75 year old son every day. It is something she has done her whole life and luckily is still able to get joy from it... so she continues. Why not? Obviously there will come a day when it might be impossible, but when that day comes, she will deal with it... as will you (as will we all). Enjoy your Sunday, my friend!

Elephant's Child said...

I look forward to this post from you each and every week. Your perspective sometimes echoes mine, and on other mornings encourages me to take a look at myself and perhaps take a shift.
News? I watch enough to stay informed but cannot wallow in it.
Stay well and active dear friend. And thank you.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I wish you all good things too! Today is a me day, laundry and cleaning a bathroom and a bit of dusting to catch up on , I am a little behind from fours days away this past week between traveling to the cities and my parents garage sale. I always feel better if I am caught up. Headed back to the cities on Thursday....praying that Far Guy gets some relief. Today he is enjoying the patio and sitting there carving I just made him a cup of coffee, soon he will come in to lay down. I will do something for me...maybe some watercolor or some crochet. I need to read the next book club book soon! Be well...have a sunny outlook all week!

Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for the tip on The Midnight Library. I checked and it looks like one I would enjoy too. My library has it so I put it on hold. I am #3 on 25 copies so it shouldn't be long. That is another blessing of Kindle. Our library will let you borrow E books and transfer them right to your Kindle. Never have to leave the house. Also if you ever get where you are tired of reading, most books can be switched from text to speech. Of course it the voice is a wee bit robotic but I have used it when I had an eye inflammation. Only bad thing is that way, it won't keep your place if you nod off like it does with text:)

Gigi said...

I adore your Sunday posts - they always make me think and always remind to be grateful for all the blessings in this life.

The news - I don't watch it but I will skim the paper everyday so I have an idea of what is going on in the world.

Have a wonderful week, my dear friend.

William Kendall said...

I have for years not watched television news. I get my news by buying a couple of papers a day. I find that offers a bit of needed distance.

Maple trees here are starting to change, but we are in a heat wave that may not end until Thursday.

ApacheDug said...

Fall always seems slow arriving in my corner of Pennsylvania, but I can't wait. These last few summers have just seemed too much to bear, either the temps are inching up each year or I simply can't endure them like I used to. Probably a little bit of both. DJan, I very much related to what you wrote about the news--this is something I've been wrestling with for awhile, and in fact it's one of the reasons I recently gave up cable, to stop watching so much of it. I think trying to steer yourself a little clear is a very good thing. Anyway, glad to see you're in such good spirits and enjoying your Paperwhite (along with your legendary west coast weather)! I hope your week ahead is much like today's post.

Marie Smith said...

Living life with gratitude is everything. There is so much to be grateful for even amid the terrible news these days.

Red said...

Okay, your very elderly description of yourself! Really? You're only as old as you feel. You certainly think and act like much younger person. So keep on getting out there and having fun. As for news? some of it is dismal. I cannot understand how some people ae so stunned that they will not get vaccinated.

Betsy said...

Your words bring to me a new and different perspective each week and I'm grateful for that. I'm looking forward in flying to Spokane this week for a few days for work and I'm so looking forward to seeing good friends again for possibly the last time for many months, possibly years to come. Then the mistake of watching just ONE news story. And it said not to travel to the southern states or Washington and Oregon because of "you know what." My bubble of happiness burst. Of course I'm still going and I will follow every safety precaution possible. This is why I don't watch the news.
Wishing and praying for a wonderful week full of possibilities for you this week.
Blessings,
Betsy

Tabor said...

What a beautiful post. You have accepted life and all its changes. That is the least we can do. We try to push ahead and be physical, but we accept diminishing returns.

gigi-hawaii said...

I think it is wonderful that you are still able to walk as much as you do. Reading gives you much pleasure, so keep it up. Cheers and aloha from Hawaii.

Anvilcloud said...

Another fine Sunday meditation.

John's Island said...

I enjoyed this post and found it to be uplifting. And this sentence is perfect: "What I have learned over the decades is that I can, and that I will find a way to be happy and content with whatever life brings to me." That is just great! Thank you DJan. Wishing you and SG a fine week ahead.

Rita said...

Yes, I pick dancing in the sunlight! :)

Margaret said...

When my dad had to give up walking with his friend at 92, he accepted it better than I did. It will be hard to adapt to the inevitable losses of our activities--but we will find other ways to enjoy our time and find joy.

Azka Kamil said...

Thanks for the tip on The Midnight Library

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post. I enjoyed reading every word and could relate to so much. As I get older, things are changing and it is so we need to find ways to see the glass 1/2 full and focus on that which brings us joy. I love what you said- "What I have learned over the decades is that I can, and that I will find a way to be happy and content with whatever life brings to me." -WOW- I will remember that one - thanks for this uplifting post.

Glenda Beall said...

You are such an amazing person. You inspire your readers and give us food for thought. I am reminded of how important books become to us as we age. Being an avid reader and a writer, I know how important books and those who write them are to me. As I watched my sister age and lose her ability to walk, to cook, to drive I was so very happy that she could read. She said TV lost all her interest as programming changed to reflect younger people's lives, but she had always loved to read and that saved her in her last months when she was practically bedridden. I listen to books every night and read paper books as well. I am not fond of reading on screen but am learning to do so as E-books are inexpensive. thanks as always for your post.

Mona McGinnis said...

"What I have learned over the decades is that I can, and that I will find a way to be happy and content with whatever life brings to me." This statement resonated with me as well. Life is full of changes and challenges and that may very well be my purpose on this earth - to meet them with grace and to continue to engage in life. Thank you.